Wednesday, October 19, 2016

Draft of another poem

Art Class

Some muses are better than others.
You, you're pretty good,
and I don't even need you naked.
I'm no artist in that sense, and besides,
I'd be mortified studying you
in front of a class.

I won't describe your body here,
except to say I don't
know anything about it
(other than what you show on Facebook,
and that's just enough
to percolate intrigue
like a pot of dark, brewing coffee.
It smells so damn good).
Am I a bad person,
using you this way?

At least I told you. Sometimes
I don't tell, don't bother to ask,
not once nod in the direction
of inspiration. I'm sorry.
It hasn't always been about you.

It's about me and my writing
and how I'm so needy,
ordering out someone else's energy
to quench the thirst
of my poet's dry throat.

On the outside,
she's a ridiculous middle-aged woman.
On the inside,
she sits in the front row
and marvels at your complexity
flexing in front of an analytical
group of parched hippies.

You're too good for that.
May I be excused?
Post a Comment