Thursday, February 27, 2014

Guest Post by Kristy Feltenberger Gillespie!

Excerpt: 

“Hold still.” Ty brushes his fingertips softly across my cheek.

I gaze into his stark purple colored eyes which remind me of twilight, the most mysterious, most beautiful time of evening.

“Make a wish,” he says. An eyelash is on the tip of his finger.

I wish my grandmother was still alive. I blow the eyelash off of his finger. If only my pain could disappear as quickly as an eyelash. Grandmother Ruby used to tell me to make a wish every time the clasp of my necklace slid around to meet the charm. I feel my necklace and the clasp is resting on the nape of my neck. When I finally look up, he’s watching me intently.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” I ask as heat spreads over my face.

“I worry when you’re so distant. It’s okay to show emotion, you know. It’s okay to cry.”

“I know that, I just can’t right now.” I cross my arms tightly across my chest. I glance at the program that lies on my lap. I chose the picture of Grandmother Ruby which was taken in November, right before she got sick. She’s holding a striped umbrella with one hand and waving with the other. A lump rises in my throat. I’ll never see her smile again. I’ll never talk to her again. And yet, I imagine her face and her voice so clearly. If she were seated next to me, she’d be reapplying her red lipstick. And she’d complain that the classical music was melancholy.

“Why the mourning?” she’d ask. “Why not celebrate the person’s life? When I die, I hope they play jazz.”


Check out Kristy's Jaded Spotlight and Giveaway at Tome Tender - Enter to win an E-book copy and a Starbucks gift card: http://tometender.blogspot.com/2014/02/jaded-by-kristy-feltenberger-gillespie.html?zx=2a79577bef78e602

Amazon Link to purchase Jaded: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00II0UUSQ

Bio: Kristy Feltenberger Gillespie lives in Warrenton, VA with her husband, two cats, and two dachshunds. She's a middle school counselor, graduate student at Longwood University, (pursuing a degree in School Library Media) blogger, short story and YA novel writer. When she's not working, she's traveling or dreaming of traveling. She's been to 39 states and is planning a 9 state road trip with her mom in the summer of 2014.

Post a Comment