Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Letter from Mother Earth: A Draft

For an upcoming evensong service at our church.  The letter needs work, but you get the idea.

Mother Earth to Her Children: A Letter

My Dears,

I write this from a place of love and thankfulness that my soul is your soul, my body yours, that we are all connected in a bond of beauty and life.  There is no gap between us, no chasm.  Any sense of separateness is but an illusion.

When I think of this,  I recall the poet Walt Whitman who said,

"I celebrate myself, and sing myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.

I loafe and invite my soul,
I lean and loafe at my ease observing a spear of summer grass.

My tongue, every atom of my blood, form'd from this soil, this air..." 

Each time one of your own children rolls downhill in my soft grass, climbs one of my aging trees, swims in my expansive ocean, I celebrate.  And when you do the same, I celebrate even more because I know I have given you something permanent, something meaningful--an experience worth repeating in adulthood what you learned in childhood. 

So now, I open my arms to you and invite you into my embrace, the same one I've always offered.  Look at me up close--the bark of my trees, the stems of my tulips, the feathers of a red Cardinal.  Hear my breezes, my thunder, my rain.  Feel my snow in your hands, autumn leaves between your fingers and summer sun on your face.  Smell the change in seasons.  Taste joy and wonder.  Close your eyes and love me as I love you, because you know I do and always will.

I look forward to your next visit.    

Affectionately,
Mother
Post a Comment