Thursday, April 11, 2013

From Last Year's Letters of Gratitude: Surrender



It means acknowledging I have to accept the things I cannot change and give them up to God.  It means relief.  I don’t have to do this on my own.  It means I don’t have to carry some kind of cross, that I’m not Jesus, that no one expects me to save the whole world or even save myself all by myself.  It means I can be gentle with myself.  It means I am safe and that I know people are going to help me through life and that being helped is more than okay—it’s necessary.  And if I need more help than some other people, that’s okay, too, because God and his friends don’t care how much help I need.  They aren’t judging me.
Surrender doesn’t mean I give up. It means I say “yes” to life and love.
____________________________

Last year, I took part in the "Letters of Gratitude" course during which we were tasked to write 30 letters on 30 different topics until we reached a place of thankfulness.  Above is my 21st letter.


Post a Comment