Sunday, April 07, 2013

From Last Year's Letters of Gratitude: Failure



Failure
 
In a lot of ways, I do not believe in failure. I believe in best attempts, doing what we can, accepting some human limitations and learning along the way. 

My feelings of failure have been transient, though admittedly, some of those transients take residence longer than others as I process and learn to understand.  In some cases, as with the fraud school that took my money and removed me from my program, I discovered I had not failed but that the system had.  

Systems are the bane of my existence. I have difficulty operating within them, as I generally find them confusing and overwhelming.  I have no patience for corrupt systems, so on that level, I usually fail to immediately hold my temper.  I’m working on it, though, so even that is not failure. 

I prefer to believe I continuously work through challenges as opposed to failing.  The word “failing” connotes giving up, and I am not one who gives up.  Whether it be through understanding my human abilities or plugging along, failure is not an option.  Quitting is probably the only thing that truly yields failure. 


__________________________________
Last year, I took part in the "Letters of Gratitude" course during which we were tasked to write 30 letters on 30 different topics until we reached a place of thankfulness.  Above is my 8th letter, unedited.

 
Post a Comment