Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Let it snow, dammit!

So "they" are calling for snow, real snow, like more than an inch.  I don't have much faith in "their" predictions because they have been wrong just about all year.  Still, I am crossing my fingers that they will regain some credibility.  Late January through early March is not my favorite time of year.  It's cold, it's largely grey, the holidays are no more and I have not much motivation to go out and do things I did seven or so years ago like hike.  I just kind of freeze up like the tin man of Oz.  So my mantra of late has been, if it's going to be cold, at least be pretty!  I will go out in the snow even if it's below freezing because if nothing else, I want to take photos and bask in the glorious light that winter traditionally deprives us of.

People keep telling me I should buy those lamps that simulate sunlight.  I thought I bought one (it was expensive enough for me to believe it was the right type), but it doesn't seem to do anything other than help make it easier to read.  In fact, the family uses it more than I do.  I tend to put the brightest lights I can in the ceiling fan (environmentally friendly bulbs,of course) because if there's one thing I can't stand, it's sitting in a half-dark room all day.  I'm not saying I want the glare of fluorescent lights, but if you're going to be working in your basement, there better be ample, comfortable fake light.  Otherwise, the walls start closing in.

Besides sitting in a well-lighted room, I've developed some coping mechanisms for overcoming winter's attempts to strangulate.  First, I make sure I step outside at least once a day, even if it's only on the deck for a few moments.  That breath of cold air can make a big difference.  Second, if it's tolerable, I walk the dog for ten minutes or so.  She likes that and I wish I could do it more often.  She doesn't understand tin-man syndrome, though.  She will when she gets older, but for now, she wants to run and romp and I'm not up to it.  Third, I up my artistic efforts. Playing with color, and now adding it to my freelance business, gives my eyes a break from the drab.  Sometimes I visit my own blog just to look at my work, give myself a splash of spectrum and shape.  Finally, when I do walk, I look for interesting things--forms, hues, plants, animals, even bugs--that defy winter.

I guess one of the worst things about this time of year is that I need extra motivation to go out at all, but if I don't go out, I go bonkers and get grumpy.  The untidy house irritates me more than it usually does because it's a torturous cycle of clean up only to witness messing up shortly after.  While I've been very good at organizing and purging lately, I'm still not good about the heavy lifting like vacuuming and scrubbing.  Again, tin man. Dusting is okay, and I don't mind doing that.  Washing and folding laundry is okay, too, as is pairing socks.  Transferring clothes from washer to dryer, though, isn't so great, and as for carrying baskets up and downstairs, forget it.

In the summer, even if it's too hot, I go out on the deck and sit/lie down in the sun.  Vitamins and warmth and light...yeah.  My skin looks better, I feel better and I enjoy a natural sauna by lying on the deck, like an iguana.  I'm not a fan of humidity or extreme heat, but lately, I'd rather deal with that than the yuck we've been having this season.

All of this is to say, I hope we get snow, and I am looking forward to spring.  That sounds contradictory, I know, but in my world, it isn't.  And as we all know, my world doesn't match perfectly with what other might call "the real world."  Reality is a matter of perception in a lot of ways.  But we shall save that discussion for another day, perhaps when it's snowing.
Post a Comment