Saturday, March 30, 2013

Four New Goals

Having just returned from vacation, I'm finding it difficult to get back into writing mode.  Actually, it's more than that.  Prior to leaving, I worked on a project with a tight deadline, an interesting project with challenges I'd never encountered before, but an energy-sucking one all the same.  Bad Internet connection at the resort discouraged me from blogging, which is good and bad, since writing is an outlet but can be tiring and head-muddling.  But I've come home from vacation feeling renewed, like my head has been glued back on a little firmer.  And I've got goals.

The first is, having tried Yoga at the resort and subsequently buying the instructor's DVD, I'm going to attempt to integrate the practice into my mornings when my brain is most likely to be unsettled, my body stiff.  Mornings are my most productive times, but if I am anxious and try to jump right into emails and the days' stresses, I set myself up for needlessly complicating my day.  I am hoping Yoga will help center me and my body.

My second goal is to add to my "grateful list" each morning and then again in the evening.  I have discovered there are so many little things I appreciate throughout the day, but I forget about them and the gratitude I felt upon encountering them.  Writing helps me reaffirm gratitude as well as remind me of my many blessings.  I need to be reminded because I get so distracted and overwhelmed sometimes. 

My third goal is to get out and walk at least once a day for fifteen minutes, even if it's cold and windy outside.  I need the fresh air, the interaction with nature, the exercise and the time to physically regroup.  The dog needs it too, but I don't want to feel guilty about occasionally walking without her.  Sometimes, I just need to be alone.

Fourth goal: accept things the way they are and just continue to appreciate what is already here.  In doing so, I will have greater peace of mind.  I need to stop struggling against things that are out of my control and really believe everything will work out for the best, understand that catastrophe is not guaranteed and that I'll not return to my impoverished days.

These goals might sound simple, but for someone who has trouble maintaining structure or changing routines, they can be daunting.  I will have to pin this list to my desk to remind myself that post-vacation is a great time to start over.  And since tomorrow is Easter, it's an even better time to invest in my own renewal.
Post a Comment