Wednesday, January 23, 2013

I'm trying 750words.com Here's my first post.

First, I would like to congratulate you on creating this amazing site.  I'm a big fan of writing within rules (though I admit to breaking many of them on my own time).  I write six-word-memoirs at Smith Magazine, Haiku, Haynaku, 500-word flash fiction, 400 word blurbs for my pastor, pseudo-sonnets...  My first novel was a product of National Novel Writing Month during which authors are challenged to write at least 50,000 words in 30 days.  I used to write 500-700 word newspaper articles. So I am familiar with word limits.

I have 9 personal websites and maintain/contribute to two others.  I've published three books.  I have multiple email addresses and various projects I'm working on.  Most people would think I'd be making lots of money, but writers and artists know better.

For blogging fun and to exercise my mind, I tend to write in this loosey-goosey style, allowing my mind to wander where it wants.  I call it "intellectual meandering," but sometimes it's just mental masturbation.  Writing can be extremely self-indulgent, giving the author a sense of not having done anything all day except maybe market, an evil necessity for anyone trying to earn a living word by word.  I cannot count the number of hours I've spent marketing, but I can tell you, it's not my favorite thing to do, though I enjoy exploring new media and learning how to optimize free online tools.

One thing I fear about sites like these is that I will write an entire essay or entry but something will go wrong and I will lose my work.  Since I can never recall what I've written previously, starting over is frustrating.  But I like the idea of live writing.  There's something more kinesthetic about it (I can't spell, by the way) than just writing in a journal.  Blogging live is like being on television without being subjected to cameras (which I am not fond of).

I am about to test this website by taking a quick bathroom break. (You'll find I often talk about bodily functions, so beware).  If I return and my work is still here, I will assume this platform is somewhat stable.  It's not like Blogger where you see the "saved" button light up every now and then.

___________________

Well, I'm back and I see my words are still here, so that's a good thing.  (Does that break line count as a word?)

I just noticed at the bottom of the screen that this site says "private."  I'm not sure how "private" is defined, but if it means no one is going to see my entries, I'm wondering what the point is, since writers want to be read and my preference for live writing can't necessarily be satisfied here.  Another thing I just noticed is that there is indeed a "saved" alert at the bottom of the screen.  It's small, so as someone who has to enlarge the screen and type AND wear glasses, I missed it.  Anyway, I think I will explore the site's options.  If I can't share this writing, I might actually post it on one of my blogs after.  Does this make me an exhibitionist?  That's an idea I've blogged about before.  Why do people write private things on public blogs, in Facebook and on Twitter?  I've got some ideas about that, based on what I've read and my own experience.

Writing tends to be a solitary occupation.  We writers spend a goodly amount of time in our own heads, which is a necessity.  We tend to be introverts, and we aren't always good speakers.  So while we are creative, it's easy for us to lose sight of the rest of the world, that which does not understand or depend so much on writing.  The myth of the misunderstood artist is not really a myth.  We can begin to feel disconnected and isolated.  Some of us get lonely or depressed.  Yet, we need our time alone.  Indeed, we savor it.  It's a catch-22.  "So stop writing," some would say, but they don't understand real writers MUST write.  It can actually become compulsive, but certainly, there are worse compulsions than that.

I see I've reached 750 words.  Easy.
Post a Comment