Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Email Dialog With Bob Regarding "A Course in Miracles"

Glad you've enjoyed the emails, Bob.  I certainly don't want to bother you.  And thank you for the reading recommendations.  Truth be told, though, I probably won't get to it.  I take in SO much that when I do read (which I do slowly--somewhat of an impediment), I tend towards fun, unpopular fiction.  I might skim parts of the suggested material online or if the book is easily available, but otherwise, I'm already on overload. 

Now onto other things.  Warning, though: I'm about to have one of my morning, philosophical binges, which is a hell of a lot healthier than binging on carbs.  I might end up blogging this--I hope that is okay.  I can keep your identity a secret.  : )  Oh, and the Comcast spell check isn't working, so please pardon any errors.  My spelling sucks.

*Later note:  Blogger isn't letting me spell check, either.  I think it's a Comcast thing as a result of the storm.  Oh well.  You all can read me in the raw.

_______________________________________________

Anyway, you said:


--Because of this male domination of women has persisted for thousands of years, we have become

 persuaded it is human nature to bully those weaker than ourselves. In my view, this is a male interpretation of ego's justification for 

the spoiled child syndrome, " I want what I want when I want".--

So true!  I think bullying was originally a reaction to the human survival instinct, but once again, we've not evolved enough.  We women (who are certainly not the weaker sex) are probably the biggest reason humans have indeed survived because we're the ones who have had to spit out and care for the babies!  (And don't give me that "You women needed hunters" argument, because we could have lived off nuts and berries quite nicely if it weren't for you men clubbing each other other and dragging us around by the hair.)  But being pregnant necessitates limited mobility and more recovery time, so it was easy for women to become more controllable as the men went out and hunted and waged tribal war. Meanwhile, we primordials needed to increase the population and overcome high infant mortality rates, so wasting sperm and eggs was considered a sin (if you recall the "spilling seed" episode in the Old Testament). 

Speed up to the now: while children are gifts, we certainly don't want to create a situation in which they are set up to be victims from the start.  Even so, I probably could not have an abortion except if the pregnancy were the result of rape or if the pregnancy meant without a doubt I would die (leaving my own children without a mother)When my first child's prenatal tests indicated I might miscarry or that she might have spinal bifida, I did not abort.  With my second child, I refused to have the test because I knew I would have the baby either way.  I don't say this because I think I'm kind of saint.  I'm just demonstrating my beliefs and choices I made.  Both my children did end up with minor disabilities, but I will never, ever regret my decision. 

I believe abortion is a horror, a last ditch effort to rectify what seems like an impossible situation for mother and child and often, even father.  I believe abortion is a symptom of a sick society (as is child and all abuse), but instead of working on the disease, we are perpetuating a political and philosophical war we call "pro-choice versus pro-life," a war that will never be won and will continue to divide us all, pitting women against men, men against women, religion against religion, dynamics that partisan politics thrive on.  Meanwhile, developing babies with nerve endings and growing brains are killed in the name of protecting women, society, etc.  We treat the fetus who looks like a human within a few short weeks as less than human, ignoring the fact that fetus is a living being.  We, as a society, often treat pregnant animals better and cannot bear the thought aborting what we know will become these cute little puppies or kitties (though we do often spay, neuter and euthanize).

Now that I've probably pissed you off, let me say I would NEVER judge a woman who has had to make the horrible decision to have an abortion. Abortions can leave women just as devastated as having a baby they can't care for.  For most women, abortion is a manifistation of depression and panic.  I DO have issues with educated, sane women who use abortion as birth control or control over the father, however.  But all this is where prevention, education, resources and intervention MUST come in.  If we want to stop overpopulation and its subsequent suffering, we must come to a place in which we can accomplish our goals, and the first thing is to get politics out of the equation.  Abortion is a medical, philosophical, spiritual issue, and politicians use it as leverage which, in my opinion, is evil.

Catholics don't believe in birth control.  Okay.  But Catholics only have a certain amount of influence over the general population.  Catholics are not even a majority, and a great many Catholics follow the rules as far as they choose to.  I've known a lot of Catholics who have had tubal ligations and vasectomies.  I've known a lot of Catholics who have used contraception, and not just the rhythm method. 

I also know Catholics promote adoption (which I applaud), but the absurd cost and legal restrictions  put upon potential parents in the U.S.A. prevent organizations such as Catholic Charities from meeting their own mission.  Meanwhile, it's easier to go overseas and adopt while there are millions of children right here who need to be adopted or fostered, in particular, children with disabilities and whole groups of siblings.

Yes, Catholic Charities enforce their own rules on adoption, as do all other denominational and public organizations.  But to me, that just means we as a county need more options, no matter what sector provides them.  And to me, abortion isn't an option.  It's a last resort.  So what else can we offer to prevent pain inflicted on the born and unborn? 

Here's what I think (and I've not listed my ideas in order of importance because they are all important as far as I'm concerned)First, as I said before, but I think it warrants repeating, get politicians out of the equation.  All they do is cause trouble.  Second, we need to change our adoption and foster parenting system, opening it up to more potential parents who are barred from adopting because of legal costs that could be used to care for a child and support families instead of lawyers and bureaucrats.  Third, we need to promote the use of the day-after pill and a variety of birth control options, particularly through more accessible healthcare systems. Fourth, we need more organizations that offer mental health services.  Lack of mental health services is a serious, contributing problem, evidenced by the numbers of abused and neglected children.  How many women, for example, have killed their babies as a result of untreated, post-partum depression?  How many women and men abuse and/or kill their children because they have uncontrolled rage or stress or undiagnosed diseases?            

Some of these suggestions will be applauded by Catholics and other denominations because the implementation would promote adoption and foster care as well as healthier familiesSome of these options would not be approved of in the religious communities.  However, religious organizations have a right to practice their beliefs, as do others, and we have to be very careful where our public monies go.  But we are overlooking what we have in common. 

No valid religious organization promotes ignoring mental illness and drug abuse, as far as I know, so, through our tax dollars, let's all help these poor families who can't deal with their sickness.  No valid religious organization wants to see a family starve to death or not receive the kind of support that can reduce child abuse, so let's all chip in to identify and assist families at risk  Identify and help children and families at risk.  .  These are the areas where we should be pouring our public monies and attention into.

As for the other, more contentious solutions such as promoting birth control and sexual education?  Take it to the private sector where we know for a fact there is a hell of a lot of money being wasted on expensive cars, designer clothing and most aggregously, support for unethical corporations that function as if they are better than abused children, better than the poor, the ill, the elderly, the disabled, the uneducated and even the very people who risk their lives to keep our country safe and free.  Private sector, pour in the money and the oversight to make these efforts worthwhile and effective.

If we do these things, focusing on our commonalities and offering a variety of solutions, I truly believe abortion will become less of an issue, as will other societal problems.  Jails will not be quite so filled with minors, drug addicts, alcoholics, the poor, the mentally ill, minorities and the disabled.  Homelessness would decrease.  Physical health would increase.  Spiritual growth would prosper and dang it, our country might become great once again.  What religious organization would protest that kind of progress?  What kind of God would not clap his/her/its cosmic hands that we've used our free will to create peace and prosperity?  

I know I sound like a pie-in-the-sky hippie, but this is the kind of world I imagine.  However we, as a people, must be brave enough to take these steps.  We must stop trying to inflict our personal priorities via a screwed up government, radicals and bullies.  Clearly, these paths have failed us.  What's that old adage?  If you keep doing the same thing again and again, you'll get the same results? 

I think I'm done now.  LOL!  See what you've gotten yourself into? 
Post a Comment