Friday, August 17, 2012

What would Thoreau Say?

"I wish my countrymen to consider, that whatever the human law may be, neither an individual nor a nation can ever commit the least act of injustice against the obscurest individual without having to pay the penalty for it. A government which deliberately enacts injustice, and persists in it, will at length even become the laughing-stock of the world." --Henry D. Thoreau

Shall we apply Thoreau's wisdom to our county government?  

I hold our Board of County Supervisors, in particular, its chair, accountable for the level of racism, homelessness, poverty and discrimination he has sponsored and supported.  From his persecution of the immigrant community to his refusal to commit to affordable housing, Corey Stewart is a threat to every "obscure individual," which means any of us could be the next target, privately and publicly.  I've seen it and experienced it first-hand. 

Want to learn more about what this man has created?  Read some of my posts with the labels marked both Prince William County and immigration; Prince William County and racism; Prince William County and poverty. 

I am not nearly as well versed as Henry David Thoreau, but I am equally as passionate.  Stories like mine and others' will not just disappear. You can count on that, Corey Stewart and cronies.
Post a Comment