Wednesday, July 18, 2012

False Friends

Word of the Day for Wednesday, July 18, 2012

beguile \bih-GAHYL\, verb:
1. To influence by trickery, flattery, etc.; mislead; delude.
2. To take away from by cheating or deceiving (usually followed by of): to be beguiled of money.
3. To charm or divert: a multitude of attractions to beguile the tourist.
4. To pass (time) pleasantly: beguiling the long afternoon with a good book.

When you were obvious
as a black t-shirt, a white
truck, a red cap, my trembling
hands, I got it.  I begged
you, cease fire, read,
hear my words,
understand, consider
the burns that still scar
my mind, my skin.

And you did for awhile
so I would take you
for sympathetic friend.

But friends do not beguile.
When they smile,
they cast sunshine,
drowning the dead. 
Post a Comment