Friday, February 24, 2012

The "It Sucks" List

Okay, I hardly ever do this, but I'm about to write a list of stuff that has sucked recently.  As I mentioned in a previous post, I enjoy writing lists.  Generating lists can teach you a lot about yourself and help you stay focused.  The reason I am writing this "It Sucks" list is to give myself a big hug and say, "Well no wonder you've been stressed, poor thing.  Be especially good to yourself right now."

Thankfully, the "It Sucks" list is short compared to my alphabetical list of things I love and my list of things I am grateful for

January-February, 2012

  1. In January, I was supposed to spend twelve glorious, educational, fun days in Mexico but went home on the sixth day because I got seriously ill as a result of my lap band. 
  2. I had to have the fluid removed from the band, and I put on 12 pounds in less than a month. 
  3. Someone very close to us was diagnosed with cancer.
  4. Our elder cat continues to have health problems and requires a lot of care that comes along with worry.
  5. My youngest offspring got stuck in the mud, couldn't get out and had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance for hypothermia. 
  6. My eldest has had panic attacks three separate times upon our trying to get her a blood test.  We've been unable to accomplish the task.
  7. My husband has been sick for a week and has had to take leave without pay, which means not only will we be short on money, he probably won't be able to take a family vacation with us this summer--AGAIN.
  8. My classes were cancelled for a week and I didn't know if I would have a job to return to.
In my usual fashion, I am compelled to look on the brighter side and counter the items on this list with the following positives:

  1. At least I had twelve days and got more than 400 pictures in addition to journal entries.  And I didn't die.
  2. Twelve pounds gained after losing about seventy isn't so bad numerically.
  3. Still processing this one, but I understand the grieving process, which makes it more understandable.  And serious illness makes you cherish time and memories more intensely. 
  4. Our cat has lived a good, long life and isn't in pain.
  5. The youngest one learned a lesson and was okay.
  6. The elder one is going to have to learn to cope.
  7. My husband will recover and will still have a job.  And we have savings to cover any financial losses.  He and I have a romantic escape planned for the weekend of March 19.
  8. I still have a job, one that I love.
Guess that's it for now.  I hope that's it for a little while, anyway!
Post a Comment