Thursday, April 17, 2008

Back from the HOA Annual Meeting

So I attend the annual HOA meeting. I'm walking out of the building and there are people mulling around some poster boards. On the poster boards are plans and blueprints. Three developer reps are asking people to look at their plans. Then they're asking people to support another retail plaza to be built by the corner of Devlin and Linton Hall.

Now, if you want to see me get my panties in a bunch, ask me to sign off on a permission slip to rip down more trees in this area.

Ask me to sign off on a plan to put in more "upscale" stores and restaurants.

Try to convince me that it's either stores or more houses, but one way or another, the trees are going.

Then, when I try to warn you that not only our neighborhood folks would go there but the Nissan Pavilion visitors will stop off for dinner as well, try telling me, "Well no, they won't know about it."

"It's a really green plan," I'm told. "We did studies."

Well, apparently those studies didn't include Nissan Pavilion traffic. And I doubt those studies included further backup of traffic on Linton Hall and Devlin from people turning in and out of the parking lot.

"We're going to preserve this section of trees," I'm told and showed a narrow strip up Devlin.

"Great. Turn it into a park."

"Well, it probably has to be a preserve."

Flash back to the HOA meeting where I'm asking if the developers are still planning to build thousands of homes right across the street from our subdivision (across Devlin on the opposite side of University). No one seems to know.

"Why can't we make all those woods a park?" After all, we don't have any parks in our neck of the no-woods.

No one seems to know.

So home come I telling my husband about the meeting and the various disputes over voting procedures, but the fact is, nothing ticks me off more than the way this county has allowed developers to rip our environment apart.

When I'm on my front steps, I look across the street, behind the other town homes, and I see an industrial park.

When I look to the left, I see a runoff surrounded by a chain link fence.

When I go on my back porch, I see dead trees, a graveyard of what must have been the original "Darton Woods." Except there are no woods, and if the county has its way, the rest of this area will end up looking something like the surface of the moon.

And now they want me to sign a petition to build MORE?

They want me to condone once again the ripping down of trees?

They want me to support increased traffic and pollution?

They want me to request listening to another year or more of construction (which, by the way, would create even more traffic during the process)?

I think not.

And I intend to let the BOCS know about it.

Post a Comment